Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- 400 grams boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 14 oz can Fire-roasted plum tomato (ref note 1)
- 2 tspn oil
- 1 medium onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper Chopped
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1.5 tsp Chipotle chilli powder (ref note 2)
- 1 tsp paprika (Optional)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnishing
InstructionsTO MAKE IN SLOW COOKER
- Take oil in a pan. Once hot put minced garlic followed by onion. Fry till Onion starts to soften a little bit and it is aromatic.
- To a pre-heated Slow cooker add chicken breast crushed tomatoes cooked Onion and garlic mixture all the spices warm Chicken Stock and salt.
- Cover and let it cook on high 3 hours.
- To the Crock-Pot stir in chopped bell peppers Cream cream cheese Shredded cheese. Further cook on high for 20-30 minutes until all the cheese has melted.
- At the end of cooking using two forks shred the chicken breast.
- While serving top it with fresh cilantro Sour cream Avocados.
TO MAKE IN AN INSTANT POT
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Once hot add oil.
- Add minced garlic and chopped Onion to the pot. Saute until onion has softened and it is aromatic.
- Add Cumin powder Chipotle Chilli Powder Oregano Paprika. Saute for 30 seconds. ( By sauteing the spices in oil it develops flavour. This step can be skipped)
- Stir in Roasted Tomatoes Chicken Stock. Scarp the bottom of the pot to release any stuck brown bits. Add salt.
- Add Chicken Breast to the pot. Cover the lid and cook on Manual /High-Pressure mode for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes followed by Manually releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Carefully remove Chicken breast in a plate and shred the chicken breast using forks.
- To the pot add chopped bell pepper Softened Cream Cheese Cheddar Cheese and half & half. Stir well until all the cheese has melted.
- Add back the shredded chicken to the pot. Stir well.
- While serving garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
This article and recipe adapted from this site