Heavenly Blueberries And Cream Angel Food Cake Dessert
INGREDIENTSBLUEBERRY FILLING (SEE NOTE):
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon)
CAKE AND CREAM:
- 1 angel food cake cut into 1-inch cubes (see note)
- 16 ounces light or regular cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- For the blueberry filling in a medium saucepan combine the blueberries sugar cornstarch water and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened 5-7 minutes stirring often. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- For the cake and cream layer in a blender or with an electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer) whip together the cream cheese half-and-half or evaporated milk and sugar until smooth and creamy 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl if you used a blender. Fold in the angel food cake cubes. Keep in mind (from the note below) that you may not use all the cake cubes depending on the size of the cake. Add cake cubes until they are all thickly coated with a layer of cream.
- For the whipped cream beat together the heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- To assemble in a trifle dish a large glass bowl or a 9X13-inch (or slightly smaller) dish spread half of the angel food cake mixture. Top with half of the blueberries dolloping across the top and then spread half of the sweetened whipped cream on top. Repeat the layers. The layers don t have to be perfect. It s going to be a little haphazard and messy. Don t stress.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
This article and recipe adapted from this site