Flaky Honey Brioche Bread
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 eggs – 4 used in dough plus 1 egg beaten for brushing
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) salted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold salted butter sliced into thin pieces
INSTRUCTIONS1. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the milk yeast honey 4 eggs flour and salt. Using the dough hook mix until the flour is completely incorporated about 4-5 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons room temp butter and mix until combined about 2-3 minutes more.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Punch the dough down and roll out onto a lightly floured surface creating a large rectangle that’s about 12×18 inches. Lay the thin slices of cold butter on one half of the dough pressing gently to adhere.
4. Fold the other half of the dough over butter covering it completely. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle roughly 12×18 inches. Fold 1/3 of the dough into the center then fold the other 1/3 over the top of the first layer so you have three dough layers (like an envelope). Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer for 15-20 minutes until chilled. Alternately you can chill the dough in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
5. Meanwhile butter two (9×5 inch) bread pans.
6. Remove the dough from the freezer. Roll the (envelope shaped) dough into a rectangle (about 12×18 inches). Starting with the edge of dough closest to you roll the dough into a log keeping it tight as you go. When you reach the edge pinch along the edges to seal.
7. Cut the dough in half and place seam side down in prepared pans. Cover and let rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the bread pans on a rimmed baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg. Transfer to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until dark brown on top. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes then flip out onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve warm or cold.Read Full Recipe —> Click Here