Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Panko breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup for Super Easy or 1 cup for Quick Dredge
- Oil spray
- 2 small chicken breasts around 6-7oz/180-210g each
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese (Note 1)
- 4 to 6 slices of ham about 2.5oz/75g (Note 2)
METHOD 1: SUPER EASY
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
METHOD 2: QUICK DREDGE
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp plain flour
DIJON CREAM SAUCE (MAKES 1 CUP)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk (Note 3)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese finely grated
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan).
- Spread panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 3 minutes or until light golden. Remove and scrape into bowl straight away.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast as per the photo below.
- Fold the cheese in half and place 2 pieces inside each pocket. Do the same with the ham. Close the pocket seal with 2 toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
SUPER EASY METHOD
- Mix the mayonnaise mustard salt and pepper in a bowl. Spread onto the top and sides of the chicken (not underside).
- Sprinkle panko over the chicken using your other hand to press the breadcrumbs onto the side of the chicken. Spray with oil.
QUICK DREDGE METHOD
- Whisk egg and flour. Dip chicken into egg mixture then into the panko breadcrumbs. Transfer to tray spray with oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and just cooked through. Remove toothpicks serve with the Dijon Cream Sauce.
DIJON CREAM SAUCE
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is blended in.
- Add remaining milk mustard and cheese. Cook for 3 minutes whisking constantly until thickened. It will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chicken.
Recipe Notes:1. Swiss cheese (or masdaam sold at supermarket delis in Australia) is best for this recipe because it melts but holds it s shape quite well. If you substitute with gruyere cheddar mozzarella or any other melting cheese more cheese will ooze out. But if you seal with extra toothpicks you can use any cheese you want!2. I used small ham rounds so I needed 2 for each to cover the surface inside the chicken.
3. Preferably full fat milk but low fat is also ok.
4. Make Ahead: Use the Dredge Method and then refrigerate for up to 24 hours (probably ok longer I just haven t tried) or freeze uncooked. Keep leftover breadcrumbs and touch up if required before baking. Thaw then cook per recipe. 5. Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Calories per serving (180g/6oz chicken) assuming around 1/3 cup of sauce is used between the 2 servings.This article and recipe adapted from this site