Chocolate Dump Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 box (15.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix (do NOT make according to package directions)
- 1 box (3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding (do NOT make according to package directions)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 bag (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
- Toppings (optional): ice cream sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping chocolate chips
- Place butter in a 13×9 inch baking dish (glass or nonstick is probably best). Place baking dish in oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Check on the butter every now and then and once melted remove pan from oven. Give the butter a quick stir so that it s well mixed and cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the DRY cake mix on top of melted butter in a flat even layer. Use a fork or the back of a spoon to spread the cake mix evenly over the butter.
- Sprinkle the DRY pudding mix on top of the cake mix in a flat even layer. Use a fork or the back of a spoon to spread the pudding mix evenly over the cake mix.
- Drizzle the milk on top of the pudding mix. Carefully tilt and swirl pan to cover as much of the pudding as possible with the milk. Using a spoon or back of a fork gently press down on the milk so that it starts to absorb some of the cake and pudding mix and to cover any dry spots as much as possible. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees F for about 35-40 minutes or until top looks set (still soft and jiggly but not runny and not hard) being careful to not overbake. Serve with your favorite toppings.
- SNAPPY TIPS: Be sure to use the DRY mix for both the cake and pudding mix and ignore the directions on the box for both. Before you put the cake in the oven be sure to press down slightly on the top so that the cake and pudding mix start to absorb the milk. The top should look like a muddy chocolate milk before putting it in the oven. Check on this often and be careful to not overbake. The top should look just about set but NOT hard.
- SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: Instead of chocolate chips you can use your favorite mix-ins such as other varieties of baking chips chopped candy toffee chips or nuts.
- (I used a Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil s Food cake mix and JELL-O instant chocolate pudding to test this recipe.)
This article and recipe adapted from this site