Chicken A La King
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 3–4 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (8 ounce) pimentos well drained.
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a heavy stockpot or dutch oven. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add green pepper and onion; cook for 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften. Turn the heat to medium and sprinkle in the flour while continuing to stir. Continue to stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring to combine. Mix in the milk salt pepper onion powder and ground mustard. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken cream peas and pimentos. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice noodles toast biscuits or pastry puff shells.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE